Schengen visas (visa category C) can be issued for short-term stays of up to 90 days in the Schengen region, for instance, for tourist visits or visits for business purposes or for medical treatment. The consulates of the Schengen States are responsible for granting Schengen visas.
An extension to a Schengen visa is only possible
in exceptional cases where new facts and special reasons arise after entry.
If entry into the Federal Republic of Germany or into another Schengen state is late, the Schengen visa can be extended by the non-used duration of stay.
A Schengen visa which has already expired cannot by extended.
- Exceptional Reasons
A visa extension can be considered for humanitarian or important personal reasons or in the case of force majeure.
Exceptional reasons are given when, for instance
- urgent medical treatment is needed or where the applicant is incapable of travelling,
- the applicant experiences a sudden illness or in the case of some worrying event affecting a close family relative or
- in the case of urgent business or professional reasons which were not foreseeable before entry.
- Late Entry
A visa can also be extended where the visa period has not been fully used because entry into the Federal Republic of Germany or another Schengen State was late.
- Proof of Income
Proof of income must be provided for the duration of the visa extension.
- Passport with valid visa
- Power of Attorney with Passport or Personal ID Document
In case personal interview is not possible
- Completed form “Application for extension of a Schengen Visa”
- Proof of Income; original and copy
- Formal obligation and proof of sufficient financial means of person issuing invitation (bank statement / three most recent wage slips / income statement from tax advisor for self-employed persons) or
- proof of own sufficient means or
- where necessary, reference from relevant embassy with assumption of costs of living
- Health insurance
- Travel health insurance for the duration of the extended stay or
- reference from relevant embassy with assumption of costs of living
Accident and acute illness must be covered by insurance in both cases.
- Other Documentation
In the case of a visa issued for business or professional reasons, documents must be provided which found a public interest in the extension.
- Application for extension of a Schengen Visa (In German, English and Turkish)
- Application for extension of a Schengen Visa (In German, French and Russian)
- Free of charge: when the Schengen visa is extended for exceptional reasons.
- 30,00 Euro: if the visa is extended due to late entry.
Always free of charge for children under six years of age.
The application for extension of a Schengen visa in the above cases is to be submitted to the Service Point of the Foreigners‘ Registration Office.